This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Wikipedia is accurate?

I honestly do not know why so many people always complain about how Wikipedia is extremely unreliable and inaccurate. I have cross-read many different articles with Wikipedia and I actually find it very accurate.
    What do you guys think? Is Wikipedia accurate/reliable?
    Yes, I believe it is accurate and reliable
    35.14%
    I believe it is accurate but not reliable
    43.24%
    I believe it is not accurate but reliable (wtf?)
    13.51%
    I believe it is neither accurate nor reliable
    8.11%
    Everytime I stop, and stumble~ In doubt and darkness~ I close my eyes and think back to you~ We made a vow, a promise to carry onword~ I'll see it through~

Depends on the subject really. Some topics stay safe while others get edited all the time to support one view or another. Look at the history of an article and see what changes where made sometime.
    “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

Every time looked up information on Wikipedia it was correct (as far as I know) so I'm in the same boat as you with the inaccuracy dealio OP.

Comment

I mostly find it to be accurate and therefor reliable. Doesn't mean everything is though. Usually when using the articles for an assignment from either school or work you have to provide multiple sources of information anyway so i usually check two or more sites for information. It's redundant in most cases but once in a while it pays off.

Comment

They don't call it the Encyclopedia of Popular Opinion for nothing. While most major topics with extensive factual source material do tend to be highly accurate, there are huge numbers of biased and disputed topics where people are fighting to push their views of things and can sometimes be just plain wrong. So, while it is an excellent general reference source, you still need to take it with a grain of salt.

ja ne

Comment

Some topics are safe to use as a base of information ... others aren't ... as a free encyclopedia ... any person can write wrong stuff and put it in wikipedia ...

Comment

Not every person can write and there is a lot of people checking what is being published and even if something false gets in, it quickly get corrected. But i agree that some subjects are controversial, changing and not totally reliable.

Comment

As TSR said. Looking up history of something, definition of a scientific term, or a list of someone's works I treat as reliable, but for example before Ar tonelico 2 was released in the US, the English page was full of wrong information.

Yumiko (夢巫子) is warawaras other kueea. Singature by Kagomeko (化込子).
                Warawara (妾童) is warawaras first person pronoun.

Comment

It's reliable, but is susceptable to being unreliable. With it being open and all, there are some people who like to muck around and put false information. I've seen it done in some articles, but it's like super-rare.

Comment

on my opinion, wikipedia is reliable and accurate on a certain point. While some things on the page is fact and true, some might be misinterpreted by the writer (we don't know if the writer is a professional on the field or some bored random person A), and theres of course bias and all that.
                    So i usually go to wikipedia, read all that stuff, and then go look at the links on the bottom of the page and read that also, and get another second/third article on the topic (never hurts to be on the safe side )

[Dream Up]Reality is what you shape it to be.

Comment

I find it accurate enough, especially sense there is resources listed at the bottom of wikis

Comment

Usually does a good job about the past event that has several history text book. If anything, it usually leaves you good tips to look for other sources. compare to twenty years ago, find information has never been easier

Comment

A study comparing the factual accuracy of Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica showed they were about equal. Obscure topics are more likely to have slanted or inaccurate content as they tend to receive less editorial oversight - but these same subjects are often hardly touched upon in other general encyclopedias.

Comment

Originally posted by notausername View Post
                            A study comparing the factual accuracy of Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica showed they were about equal. Obscure topics are more likely to have slanted or inaccurate content as they tend to receive less editorial oversight - but these same subjects are often hardly touched upon in other general encyclopedias.
                            Sounds interesting. However, while I'm inclined to take your word for it out of sheer laziness, knowing the source of that study would help us evaluate how reliable its results are.

Many thanks to darkandshadow for helping me in the creation of this signature!
                            "We are the owners of our own thoughts and yet also the slaves of our own words."
                            "To create enemies it is not necessary to declare war, saying what you think is enough."
                            ~Rick, HF-Hentai #473 | My Blog | FlashChat - We welcome you to join ~
                            HongFire: The RPG - Still recruiting for more help

Comment

I once tried adding some information to their article on Berserk relating to a character whose name is derived from the Spanish governor of England had the armada been successful in its invasion (her name eludes me at the moment but given the design of the armour she wears it's no coincidence) and was deterred by the process. The accuracy of wikipedia is therefore determined by whether or not you consider people obsessive enough to navigate the process to be themselves accurate.
                              "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

Working...
                              X