Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is internet and a smartphone a must in today's world?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is internet and a smartphone a must in today's world?

in 2010, I sold my laptop and my last smartphone in 2012, today I use a simple flip phone for talk and text. I was thinking life is still doable with less stuff and being simple, but I'm starting to think I was wrong. Banks tell me to use online banking, even applying for jobs most of it has ended up online, and people in general don't really seem to socialize the same way either... it's not like way back even before my days people would just go to town square for everything. Today, I can't figure out how it all works anymore, it just seems a big mess.

Pretty much; I remember asking about the possibility of transferring some funds and the advisor said that I could do it all online, without even mentioning a way to do it at the branch (I try to avoid accessing such information over the Internet).

Heck, I even got a smartphone just because it became more convenient to own one than a flip-phone, which I'd been using for years. Granted, I like it because I put Ankidroid on it so that I could study away from the computer, but still, I barely use any of the other features (location services are disabled, rarely use it without wifi, heck, I barely make any calls on it).

Anyway, the answer to your question is 'yes, internet/computer access is assumed in many places today'; advertisers assume you use a smartphone, thus they publish promo-codes as QR stamps; banks assume you'll want to do online banking or want alerts sent to your phone, so they make an online account for you when you join; some colleges only have certain classes available online; pretty much ever facet of life (especially of the consumerist variety) expects you to have these things.
    Do I need to say anything?
    [/URL]
    I'm about to just spill some coffee, take a picture, call it art, and throw it on here...

Comment

Well, i believe it's not a must, but it'll definitely make your life way easier.
      Everything nowadays do revolve around internet and will be even more so in the future.
      If you want to abstain from laptop/phone usage it's fine i think, just make sure you're prepared for the extra hassle.

But yeah i agree with you, the world changed a lot over the last couple of years. Socializing barely exists anymore, rather than talking now everyone is glued to the screen texting away., everyone uses a social network of some sort for that nowadays. I hate social networks so, too much negatives, so now i don;t really socialize.

Smartphone on the other hand, i don't really see it as a must. I use my phone for merely call/text/music. So most old cell phones can cater to that, but smartphones are shiny and has these fancy apps you can download that helps you with stuff, but for most of the things you use smartphone like online banking and classes and stuff, you can use your pc/laptop for that.

TL ; DR imo; internet (yes) smartphone (no)

[Dream Up]Reality is what you shape it to be.

Comment

The Internet definitely is a must in today's world. So much so that Internet access is already being considered by the United Nations as a human right. Smartphones maybe not so vital, but they are the easiest and most convenient way to get Internet access, and in the developing world they're the only way some people get it (though they're probably getting gouged price-wise for access). I have a smartphone, and well, there are some days that I feel like throwing it out the window. It seems to make my employer feel that they have the right to bother me at any time they like.

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Comment

Originally posted by sholum View Post
          Pretty much; I remember asking about the possibility of transferring some funds and the advisor said that I could do it all online, without even mentioning a way to do it at the branch (I try to avoid accessing such information over the Internet).

Heck, I even got a smartphone just because it became more convenient to own one than a flip-phone, which I'd been using for years. Granted, I like it because I put Ankidroid on it so that I could study away from the computer, but still, I barely use any of the other features (location services are disabled, rarely use it without wifi, heck, I barely make any calls on it).

Anyway, the answer to your question is 'yes, internet/computer access is assumed in many places today'; advertisers assume you use a smartphone, thus they publish promo-codes as QR stamps; banks assume you'll want to do online banking or want alerts sent to your phone, so they make an online account for you when you join; some colleges only have certain classes available online; pretty much ever facet of life (especially of the consumerist variety) expects you to have these things.
          yeah man, online banking is super convenient thought, ecspecially if you travel... my land lord gets my rent every month without evenbeing present and our rent is covering part of his travel fees lol... I need to start getting smart and hustle, I need to stop complaining about how everythings so messy and crazy like some old geezer I'm only 22

thanks guys, all your posts weresuper helpful

Comment

I like the net but it is not a must, as it does not provide live sustaining nourishment. It does allow you access to lots of knowledge and ideas (and garbage data).

I too have flip phone; it texts, it calls people, and receives calls.
            Pretty much all I need as I do not go on facebook, do not take "selfies", do not upload images of myself on the internet, am not concerned with the daily ups and downs of the people I know (im sorry, most of the time I do not care what you ate at a resteraut or something).

You can pull it just fine, but as a note... I think many people will see your flip phone and assume you are poor. Just straight up. This is how people think... they try to process information and gain insight into your life... by how new your phone is. Yeah...

Comment

The truth is that it all depends on your needs and yourself but I would say yes, it's a need. Intertnet because what it is, we may not see it in perspective but this is one of the greatest revolutions in human history, like printing, telephone or electricity back then and all it offers make it a necessity in our society today.

Now smartphones. I think you are mixing up the object itself for how other people use them. Without internet those devices wouldn't be so popular, indeed, but also not so necessary. Right now most Internet access is probably generated by smartphones around the world. I don't have those apps either to upload pictures, facebook or other social stuff, but I have translators, maps, mail, browsers, personal apps with news and services and of course calling and sending messages.

I'm not gonna say it's a right to have one smartphone (I need one because of my job since I develop applications for smartphones) and maybe you don't need one to live, but don't mislead what they really offer because it's something that some years ago you needed from 5 or 6 different devices.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by SFOHollandMGO View Post
                I like the net but it is not a must, as it does not provide live sustaining nourishment. It does allow you access to lots of knowledge and ideas (and garbage data).
                I beg to differ. For instance, try looking for a job without using the Internet at all. See for yourself just how easy that is to do today. When most employers post job listings on the Internet, require you to send them your résumés via email, and find more information about prospective applicants by looking for them on the Internet, when governments make essential services dependent on Internet-facing applications, when your friends organise gatherings by posting about them on social networks, when banks and financial services conduct commerce using it, I'd argue that in this day and age the Internet is an absolute MUST. The Internet is no longer mostly just a repository of information like it was in the nineties: the Internet of today affects and all but enables many aspects of day to day life we take for granted. True, a lot of bandwidth is wasted on idle stuff like selfies and self-absorbed idiots who like to post on Facebook about what their last fart smelled like, but you're forgetting a lot of the useful work that it enables nowadays.

As for smartphones, it's true that you can get by without them just fine, but only if you have some other means of accessing the Internet without one. For many people in the developing world a smartphone might be the only computer they'll have.

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Comment

that line has blurred in the uk.
                  recently found out the uk social security started requiring people to log on to their specific job search site some time this year.
                  failing to do so would see you lose your welfare.

and thats besides the point stormwyrm made about the need for internet to find a job due to other sources of information having dried up and the fact that half those jobs will require internet themselves.

my workplace for example, cant properly process transactions if the internet connection goes down.
                  Last edited by Ferrin; 11-28-2014, 03:57 AM.
                  free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
                  ~ Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Comment

Smart phone i do not know. But online is a definite yes for me, i suppose it depends on the country you live in. 90% of what i have to do is online, i do not what online vs carbon foot print or money involved. As far as i can make out for me the carbon foot print and the costs are less. If i email one of my relatives the other side of the world from me it cost me nothing vs posting a single letter, what is the carbon foot print on sending a letter 6000 miles. Paying the bills, checking my accounts, wage slips, all done online plus more vs having everything posted to me or posting to someone. Shopping around for goods, checking things are in stock vs driving or using public transport only to find out that when you get there they are out of stock, phoning premium rate numbers for shops to check if they have the stock. Online is a way of life for me, another thing is finding parts for things that you cannot get from local shops, there are other things and these are just a few examples.
                    Last edited by childish; 11-28-2014, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I say it depends on where you are and who you are. While some people take internet service for granted there are still some areas where even electricity is a luxury. But then we weren't born with smartphones in our hands, so even if it sounds unbelievable, a lot of people can exist without these technological trends.

If the set of 'today's world' was shot in a city or at least in an industrialized human settlement, then yes, internet and mobile devices are certainly a must. Commerce, entertainment, education, these fields are being augmented by IT in this age of information.

I had to laugh at stormwyrm's 'fart and selfies' quip. Just some of the things serious folks have to put up with in having the ability to tap into a network of human resources.

Start/End/Die/LiveRythm/AL/Stage/No/LightGo-Back-No-YesScene1/Rise Again/&Stop/End/Die/OutIt's Show/Rage/no/My MindGo/Back/1-9B-5/round 2 fight

Comment

Originally posted by stormwyrm View Post
                        I beg to differ. For instance, try looking for a job without using the Internet at all. See for yourself just how easy that is to do today. When most employers post job listings on the Internet, require you to send them your résumés via email, and find more information about prospective applicants by looking for them on the Internet, when governments make essential services dependent on Internet-facing applications, when your friends organise gatherings by posting about them on social networks, when banks and financial services conduct commerce using it, I'd argue that in this day and age the Internet is an absolute MUST. The Internet is no longer mostly just a repository of information like it was in the nineties: the Internet of today affects and all but enables many aspects of day to day life we take for granted. True, a lot of bandwidth is wasted on idle stuff like selfies and self-absorbed idiots who like to post on Facebook about what their last fart smelled like, but you're forgetting a lot of the useful work that it enables nowadays.

As for smartphones, it's true that you can get by without them just fine, but only if you have some other means of accessing the Internet without one. For many people in the developing world a smartphone might be the only computer they'll have.
                        Originally posted by Ferrin View Post
                        that line has blurred in the uk.
                        recently found out the uk social security started requiring people to log on to their specific job search site some time this year.
                        failing to do so would see you lose your welfare.

and thats besides the point stormwyrm made about the need for internet to find a job due to other sources of information having dried up and the fact that half those jobs will require internet themselves.

my workplace for example, cant properly process transactions if the internet connection goes down.
                        All I am saying is that can you eat the internet? Will you die without the internet?
                        Do not get me wrong...

The internet is required by 1rst world civilizations as it is highly useful for:
                        Mating, occupation, acquiring supplies, finding information, transferring "fun tickets"

After all that... when I think about it, how did we reach this point of survival before it was available to the public?

To me, its another one of those things we all pretend... that just holds our idea of existence together and we strongly believe in it... kinda like our current models for civilization.
                        Do not get me wrong again though cause I fully understand that in this order of civilization, your life support can be cut off from society without the internet.

Comment

All I am saying is that can you eat the internet? Will you die without the internet?
                          Do not get me wrong...

The internet is required by 1rst world civilizations as it is highly useful for:
                          Mating, occupation, acquiring supplies, finding information, transferring "fun tickets"

After all that... when I think about it, how did we reach this point of survival before it was available to the public?

To me, its another one of those things we all pretend... that just holds our idea of existence together and we strongly believe in it... kinda like our current models for civilization.
                          Do not get me wrong again though cause I fully understand that in this order of civilization, your life support can be cut off from society without the internet.
                          Well, if we reduce it to just "we don't need it to live" then we don't need any kind of technology, not even computers, cars, industrial machines, etc. Do people of the XV century needed printing to survive? Of course not, did it change the access to different works and knowledge to people in Europe? Hell yeah, then it became a must. Or Electricity, can you live without having a bulb light or a fridge at home? Absolutely but once again it became necessary.

And world todays means world TODAY. Most of 3rd world countries still live in the XVII century (for better or worse) so I wouldn't count them here, because, once again we could go to live there and not worry about modern stuff.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Internet yes, smartphones not really.

Comment

If you look at it at a certain viewpoint both aren't a must. But they do make things more convenient, though internet is probably much more of a must than a smartphone since you can just buy an cellphone if you need to just need to call, and you can install a smartphone emulator on your computer so you don't miss out on the mobile phone

Though for someone like me who used to carry a bulky mp3/mp4 player (i used to carry my ipod 18gb/ainol v6000HTD) along with my cellphone (a nokia flip phone) and probably a gameboy colour/advance, having a smartphone sure lessens the baggage.

Comment

Working...
                              X