• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Centaur no Nayami (A Centaur's Life) [Manga]

[Baka-Updates]

Titles: セントールの悩み, Centaur no Nayami, Centaur's Worries
    English Title: A Centaur's Life
    Story & Art: Kei Murayama
    Genres: Fantasy, School Life, Sci-fi, Seinen, Shoujo Ai, Slice of Life, Supernatural
    Original Publisher: Tokuma Shoten
    Serialized in: Comic Ryu
    Year: 2011, ongoing
    Licensed (in English): Yes
    English Publisher:
    Seven Seas Entertainment

Description:
    Being a teenager is never easy...especially for a centaur! Himeno is a sweet, shy girl, who like many teens her age, struggles with the trials and tribulations of attending high school. The difference is she's a centaur; but she's not alone. In fact, all of her classmates are supernatural creatures, sporting either horns, wings, tails, halos, or some other unearthly body appendage. Yet despite their fantastical natures, Himeno and her best friends—the dragon-winged Nozomi, and Kyoko with her spiraled horns—are down-to-earth, fun- loving teenagers who grapple with issues of life and love in a mostly normal daily school setting.

Personal Impression:
    This, my friends, has to be my favourite manga of all-times! Ever wondered what a slice-of-life story about a young centaur girl in high school is like? Or how race specific household items, furnitures and cars would be designed? Or how a sentient, serpentine race could prosper in the chilling cold of Antarctica? What about the possible physical characteristics and illnessness of crossbreed children between angels and centaurs? The mangaka doesn't stop there: Cutting off an angel's halo (which is made of hair, btw), or riding an centaur are described as racial hate crimes in this award-winning masterpiece. Not to mention the sheer cuteness of the various characters: especially the petite centaur toddler as seen above is to *die* for! The fact that it has some wonderful yuri moments doesn't hurt the story either.

The mangaka has magnificiently thought out this fantastic, realistic modern society setting where almost every sentient race (from centaurs to imps, angels, satyrs, beastpeople and even mermaids, amongst others) are classified as "humans". You will not find ordinary humans like you and me in this work at all! On the other hand the serpentine Antarctica, as well as the Amphibian people are considered alien and enigmatic to most and are therefore often misunderstood and sometimes even feared by the "humans".

Kei Murayama also introduced some rather fascinating fictional paleonthologic aspects in his manga, such as the extinct tigerman and other early human types which died out long ago. On a similar note, he even modified real life animals in order to make them different from the various human races. Horses for instance possess not four, but six legs, which makes them now fundamentally different from centaurs.

This is without a doubt the best monster girl title I've ever came across. A worthy read for sheerly everyone out there, even for those who don't read manga at all.
    Dig it people and be amazed by its varieties of awesomeness!
    Last edited by Kamigoroshi; 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM.

Harpy,
    Dragonewt, Doll, Ghost, Scylla, Centaur, Queen Bee, Lamia.

Actually I've had my eye on this one for a while, even if I haven't got around to reading it. Only thing holding me back is I prefer stuff which is complete so I don't have to worry about losing my source halfway through (like with One Piece and Gantz, sigh...). Doesn't hurt that it looks really sweet.
    "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

Working...
    X