Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did people hate Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did people hate Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

And I mean really hate Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Were FF7 fanboys just bitter it had "Final Fantasy" in the title and wasn't Advent Children?
    Did people think Spirits Within wasn't strong enough as an original story?
    Did potential moviegoers travel nine years into the future, see this picture, and couldn't help but unconsciously associate the film with a unpopular JRPG Mary Sue, a stupidly overpowered robot, and an irrelevant My-HiME character with the same Japanese voice actress as the Mary Sue?

What gives? I thought it was decent.
    sigpic

Frankly, I don't even remember how the story went, but I found it quite bad (despite being at an age I'd just swallow anything Holywood would throw at me), even if visually stunning.

And Advent Children is pretty foul too.
    Vertigo You can take it

Blog: Gamer Mentality #1: Itemphilia|Hitchcock's birds in my town|Shut'ear|Ouch|Anxious|Upgrade|Blue|Accepted|"So that pilot-bot was evil this whole time?"

Comment

I found the plot weak the voice acting annoying and in general did not enjoy it ,but I didn't hate it. I would say these things plus the fact the movie had no relationship to any of the final fantasy franchise really pissed people off and turned them off to it.

"You have to believe in yourself." -Sun Tzu

Comment

By the way, I think someone finally found out they needed a Fabula Nova Crystalis project to show people Final Fantasy is still about silly crystals rather than chocobos and original storytelling.
        Vertigo You can take it

Blog: Gamer Mentality #1: Itemphilia|Hitchcock's birds in my town|Shut'ear|Ouch|Anxious|Upgrade|Blue|Accepted|"So that pilot-bot was evil this whole time?"

Comment

Hey now I think Final Fantasy Tactics, 7, and 6 Show that it did have good plots and awesome chocobos ....Though I agree that one example is how things can be misplaced on elements and boring.

"You have to believe in yourself." -Sun Tzu

Comment

The chick wasn't hot enough.

Comment

3 things i think;
              1- many people dont think it fits as a final fantasy story even if many of the elements in the film are similar to what you find in 7 or 8.

2- being condensed into a (80 minute?) film meant that the same character & plot development couldnt be done how fans liked/expected

3- it was kind of an experiment into animation techniques for square inex.

in fairness, FFAC had the same weak plot & characters, it just rode on the back of the established FF7 story to make up for those shortfalls.
              there are much worse films out there, but the final fantasy films are a bit generic for both plot and characters.
              free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
              ~ Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Comment

Originally posted by yoshiama12 View Post
                Hey now I think Final Fantasy Tactics, 7, and 6 Show that it did have good plots and awesome chocobos ....Though I agree that one example is how things can be misplaced on elements and boring.
                Indeed, it's not like stories about shining gems and stones weren't acceptable once. But this belongs to the past, buried along navigational world maps (despite Versus XIII planning to bring them back again).

Originally posted by Ferrin View Post
                in fairness, FFAC had the same weak plot & characters, it just rode on the back of the established FF7 story to make up for those shortfalls.
                there are much worse films out there, but the final fantasy films are a bit generic for both plot and characters.
                If SS was an animation experiment, AC was a fighting scenes experience.
                Vertigo You can take it

Comment

Like avatar, not avatar the last air bender, final fantasy spirits within did the same crime as to rip off it's true name belonging.

Comment

I actually liked it, but it wasn't very "final fantasy" to me. It was more like another franchise from Square Enix.

"Some men dream of worthy accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them."-???

Comment

Two words: Uncanny valley.

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Comment

Originally posted by stormwyrm View Post
                        Two words: Uncanny valley.
                        I believe I've mentioned the Valley on the past here before, yes? On a topic about Avatar, I think.

Anyway, despite what the theorics say regarding the Valley and Cameron's piece being close enough to hike away from it, I say that SS was good enough (and anime-ish enough) to avoid the whole Valley effect. I mean, big-eyed characters meant to look more cute than realistic won't trigger our mind's self-preservation system as a photorealistic character would.
                        Vertigo You can take it

Comment

1. not enough belts
                          2. the leading man is too manly
                          3. no chocobos
                          4. too much science
                          5. stupid narration
                          6. feels like watching gears of war instead of FF cutscenes

“As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin."
                          - Pablo Neruda

Comment

Remove the "Final Fantasy" name from the movie: Typical generic Sci-Fi movie with cliche storyline, weak character development, and so many other issues.

Add the "Final Fantasy" name from the movie: Doesn't follow FF storyline = SUCK!!!

For me, nothing interesting that come out from the movie except the nice looking CGI which still look decent today (even though it now show some aging). I did manage to get a special edition DVD for 4 dollars brand new. If you're going to buy it, buy it cheap as it might not worth for some people and also be prepared to be bored a bit in the movie.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (╯‵Д′)╯彡 ┻━┻ Rep me if you like my news......

Comment

Never saw Advent children nor do I plan to. I was put off of the spirits within because it looked like really cool anime that was dubbed into english. I have different standards for things in english than I do stuff in anime. It was still cooler than Avatar at least.
                              "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

Working...
                              X