Right Click Context Menu for Applocale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Click Context Menu for Applocale

EDIT: Thanks to Freaka & TheShadow for correction and suggestion.
    I believe everyone here in HF should be familiar with applocale due to language switching reasons, its best to change in regional setting, but sometimes its just not worth doing so. Therefore I decided to put up this guide for those who have not known about this. Remember, applocale is not the best solution for code page conversion. It is sometimes required to install Japanese Fonts to run a program properly.

After downloading & installing applocale, most of us encounters some annoying problem.
    1. You will have to click yes to acknowledge the whatever MS says before you can start the program.
    2. And you have to always choose the directory of the file and language code. Even though its always those few languages that you use...

Ofcourse you can make a shortcut, but you can avoid them by simply right click and open the file with ease!

First I would like to introduce pApploc, a modification of Applocale designed by Piaip to skip the annoying MS popup.

Now the tweak for the context menu. There are actually two ways to do this, one by a simple reg file, the other by using wscript. I personally recommend the reg method. And will probably add the wscript method later.

For people who are lazy to read or feels that its too difficult, try the spoiler.

Spoiler
    Assuming that your windows is in drive C
    1. Download pApploc
    2. Download this attachment Context Menu.zip
    3. Install pApploc to its default location
    4. Extract the Context menu.rar and double click Install.reg
    5. To uninstall, double click on Uninstall.reg If the uninstall doesnt work then use this one Uninstall2.zip

This is what you can do to open a program with Japanese locale:

1. Download and install MS apploc or pApploc
    2. Create a new .txt file.
    3. Edit it with notepad or any programs that you prefer.
    4. Put in these lines

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Jap Apploc]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Jap Apploc\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0411\""

ADDED: If you encounter problems such as not being able to get the registry to work. Take a look at this.

Spoiler
    Originally posted by TheShadow View Post
    try avoid using Spaces in Registry to make everything used as Basic registry commands
    if u want a key that had a name use the _ for spaces and add a @=name for the command name
    ex :
    Open_with_Rec_Hack <-- has no spaces and in the same time i can give it another name to the string

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Open_with_Rec_Hack]
    @="Open with Rec Hackers"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Open_with_Rec_Hack \command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\RecHack\\Resource Hacker\\ResHacker.exe\" \"%1\" %*"

5. Rename the file and change the extension of the file from .txt to .reg
    6. Execute the file!

Explanation:
    The first line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" is not required but some people cannot get the reg file to work without those lines.
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Jap Apploc]
    This tells the windows what to add in the menu of our mouse right click. In this case it states that when right clicking on a .exe file, "Jap Apploc" will appear. You ma change "Jap Apploc" to anything you like. However the next line must look the same or else it cannot find the corresponding command.
    The next line
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Jap Apploc\command]
    states that when "Jap Apploc" is clicked, the following command
    Code:
    will be executed.
    The L0411 is the Japanese in applocale. What this does is that it opens the program with applocale with the selected language code. The popup confirmation window will also disappear if you installed the papploc.
    Change the
    Code:
    C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe
    to where ever your applocale program is installed, for example if you installed it in drive D it probably looks like
    Code:
    D:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe
    Now here is a few example, the reg file I used for my computer.
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\日文模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\日文模式開啟\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\簡體模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\簡體模式開啟\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0804\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\繁體模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\繁體模式開啟\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0404\""
    A list of the code
    0401 Arabic
    0402 Bulgarian
    041a Croatian
    0405 Czech
    0406 Danish
    0413 Dutch (Standard)
    0425 Estonian
    040b Finnish
    040c French (Standard)
    0407 German
    0408 Greek
    040d Hebrew
    040e Hungarian
    0410 Italian
    0411 Japanese
    0412 Korean
    0426 Latvian
    0427 Lithuanian
    0414 Norwegian
    0415 Polish
    0416 Portuguese (Brazil)
    0816 Portuguese (Standard)
    0418 Romanian
    0419 Russian
    0804 Simplified Chinese
    0c0a Spanish (Modern Sort)
    041b Slovak
    0424 Slovenian
    041d Swedish
    041e Thai
    0404 Traditional Chinese
    041f Turkish

Alternatively, when my windows was installed on drive E, it looks like this
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\日文模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\日文模式開啟\command]
    @="E:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0411\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\簡體模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\簡體模式開啟\command]
    @="E:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0804\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\繁體模式開啟]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\繁體模式開啟\command]
    @="E:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0404\""
    And to make it even clearer, here is a English version context menu.
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Japanese locale]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Japanese locale\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Simplified Chinese locale]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Simplified Chinese locale\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0804\""
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Traditional Chinese locale]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Traditional Chinese locale\command]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0404\""
    Once you run the .reg file, you will see it shows up as soon as you right click on a .exe file.

Now one might ask, what if I dont like it after I installed it? Thats easy...
    Create a reg file and put in this line.
    Code:
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XXX]
    Replace XXX with whatever you typed to show up when right click.
    For example, if You use this line
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Traditional Chinese locale]
    To uninstall it, you use this line
    Code:
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Traditional Chinese locale]
    Hope it is not to confusing for people out here.
    All the above information were obtained from various places and I put them together to fit my own evil needs, and thought that I should share.
    I dont think I need to attach the .reg here, do I? If someone requests then I would do it.
    Last edited by wingmare; 04-18-2008, 12:36 AM.

Haven't noticed this earlier, nice find/trick for applocale users.

Some suggestions:
    - I'd switch around the spoiler, probably 95% don't want to read anything about the details and just use it
    - you can assign the system root dynamicly using the %SystemRoot% variable (which contains c:\windows, e:\winxp etc.), however you need to set the 'default' registry key type to "REG_EXPAND_SZ" which is not possible using the regedit.exe gui
    - easiest way to do that is creating a new key with some random name, exporting it and changing the key name to @
    - in your ContextMenu.zip you have a typo, naming it "Japanese loacle"
    - uninstall.reg doesn't work for me with winxp (even fixing the typo), the problem is the * replacing it with 'exefile' does the job (what is the * supposed to do?)

I've attached a file that fixes/uses the above mentioned stuff:
    Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the info with the dynamic registry

the uninstall reg works for me on all 3 of my Xp SP2
      so i guess it might be a version problem?
      the * is suppose to replace anything thats there, just like when you do a search with *
      i will dig into it and edit my post
      Thanks ^^

Comment

Hm, I'm using sp2 as well so dunno what the difference is then. Well assuming it works, * would mean that it matches anything - but unless I'm missing something in this case it could and should match only 'exefile'.

Comment

You're Freaka, I am testing it on machines with other languages installed.
          Using "exefile" doesn't work on this computer, so i am thinking it might be some updates that I did to my Sp2...
          However, its good that you put up that fix there, I am SURE there are other people who needs it, thanks to MS

Edit..
          I just did a clean install of XP SP2 on another computer in my house, and I tested on that machine without any updates/software installed. And you are right, the * doesnt work and must replace with exefile.
          Thus I guess it might be something that I messed around causing my computer to work with *. So I guess the major population should be working with exefile.
          Fixed the file and I just leave the spoiler part as it is so I can confuse people more hehe
          Last edited by wingmare; 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM.

Comment

hmm i like it but somehow i have a problem...
            when i use japanese regional setting
            and use english its still in japanese...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(JP)]
            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(JP)\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(EN)]
            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(EN)\command]
            @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0409\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(KR)]
            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(KR)\command]
            @="C:\\WINDOWS\\AppPatch\\AppLoc.exe \"%1\" \"/L0412\""
            did i do it wrong?

*korean is working...*

and what's the hex in Freaka's zip for?
            @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
            00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,41,00,70,00,70,00,50,00,61,00 ,74,00,63,00,68,00,5c,00,\
            41,00,70,00,70,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78 ,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,\
            00,31,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,2f,00,4c,00,30,00,34,00 ,31,00,31,00,22,00,00,00
            Last edited by April Angela; 04-15-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by April Angela View Post
              hmm i like it but somehow i have a problem...
              when i use japanese regional setting
              and use english its still in japanese...
              did i do it wrong?
              *korean is working...*
              and what's the hex in Freaka's zip for?
              I checked the code and it looks correct.
              April what were you trying the open? Generally speaking, to make the exe/installer easier for user interface, it reads your current regional setting sometimes to choose the best language for the user. For example when you install nero multilanguage, it checkes your regional setting and change the installer's language.
              The applocale only changes the conversion table used for the program so it can show the default language the program's GUI is showing user. So if the program decided to show Japanese, even if you use English coversion table, it still going to be Japanese.
              The hex code in Freaka's reg file could be a result of saving the reg file in ANSI standard instead of Unicode, the hex codes are characters that failed to convert to ANSI.

Comment

yeah i noticed that since the reg default type is REG_EXPAND_SZ
                i was updating some games..
                korean games

it was messed on on the patch since it will extract as japanese character the game won't read the files

its working on if the patch is in girbish words(en) or Korean

i made it to
                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(JP)]
                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(JP)\command]
                00,31,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,2f,00,4c,00,30,00,34,00 ,31,00,31,00,22,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(EN)]
                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(EN)\command]
                @=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,44,00 ,4f,00,57,00,53,\
                00,5c,00,41,00,70,00,70,00,50,00,61,00,74,00,63,00 ,68,00,5c,00,41,00,70,00,\
                70,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20 ,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,\
                00,20,00,22,00,2f,00,4c,00,30,00,34,00,30,00,39,00 ,22,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(KR)]
                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Launch with Applocale(KR)\command]
                00,31,00,22,00,20,00,22,00,2f,00,4c,00,30,00,34,00 ,31,00,32,00,22,00,00,00
                Last edited by April Angela; 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

hex(2) is used to ex-/import registry keys of REG_EXPAND_SZ type

Comment

So, did the hex(2) work for you April? I am curious about it. If it does I will add Freaka's Hex up there for easier view.

Comment

nope still doesn't work on English still using Japanese but the Korean is working fine...

i'm not posting in here in the first place if it does work perfectly fine in the first place.
                      unless i'm asked.

Comment

That means the game that you are updating does not use English... It somehow forced it to use Japanese instead.
                        If you are running Japanese Region, you get both English and Japanese in the same table.
                        From what you said, the english girbish shows up if your set the region to english right?
                        Sorry that I cannot provide more help.
                        Last edited by wingmare; 04-16-2008, 06:42 AM.

Comment

You will need the hex(2) stuff if you want to use %SystemRoot%.

April does applocale work for you if you use it through the link you can create with the applocale application?

Comment

by the way using vista XD

That means the game that you are updating does not use English... It somehow forced it to use Japanese instead.
                            If you are running Japanese Region, you get both English and Japanese in the same table.
                            From what you said, the english girbish shows up if your set the region to english right?
                            Sorry that I cannot provide more help.
                            ic i'm running at Japanese Region....
                            soo i get English and Japanese in the same table. too bad...
                            Last edited by April Angela; 04-16-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

There's already one at Hentaishare but it's only for japanese.

http://www2.hshare.net/index.php?showtopic=2116

Comment

Working...
                              X