This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official "Hongfire Update" Thread

I'm currently writing out a document containing different changes and updates
    of what I would like to see done on Hongfire.com, and then presenting it to
    TSR, and Lisa Hayes, and see if we can't get some of these bugs and changes
    to be completed instead of the "hiatus" we seem to be stuck in.

I know there are some other threads for suggestions and that, but I want to
    make a compilation of things that you, the users of this forum, would like to
    see...I know some of you would have some crazy ideas!

So far, my list contains:

1) Fixing the menu bar
    - Replacing torrents/ddls with the mods sections
    - Adding back in FlashChat
    - Removing the Wiki

2) Remove trading thread

3) Organize Technology Sub Section
    - Replace Linux with "Mobile/Other OS"
    - Smart Phones / Gadgets & Smart Phones combined into "Mobile Hardware"
    - Remove company review

4) Update Club Houses Sub Section
    ...haven't gotten around to how to do this yet

5) Roleplaying Sub Section could go into The Underground as its sub section

6) Future ideas on possibly getting our tracker/torrents back

7) Flagging, Captcha and other attempts at curbing spam bots
    ...and that's about as far as I've gotten.

Please help me flesh this out more as I want to present this in a viable way
    and help get this forum re-energized!
    Last edited by darkandshadow; 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM. Reason: Updated

Originally posted by demonix00 View Post
    The solution would be to have moderators who have their finger on the pulse of what would be allowed and what wouldn't.

Considering the PM I got from TSR just before the server was taken offline, I have a feeling that the admin might have had the same idea.
    I think we need to hear Hongfire(the person) opinion about all of this. Does he really want a forum where the main emphasis is on torrenting downloads? Before he became ill and left, he was doing a major push for anime/manga discussions. Yes, downloads will bring all the fun little lurkers that will generate ad revenue but is that really what we want to be primarily as a site? We're going to need a dedicated mod base for your idea. 24/7 watching of the section, even with the approved member status as you mentioned. We also need to remember that all the old contributors to this site have already left and gone to sites which have servers in countries less dominated by DMCA. It definitely won't be nearly as massive a section as it was before September 2011. Personally I think it should be a more minor issue than you are all making it out to be, but I do still support the idea to have an offshore server.

Anyway, I like the idea of having easy access links to seasonal H-Mangas, Hentai, anime etc. on the front page. I suppose that doesn't make us too different from most other sites but having a regularly updated main page is always good. I don't really think a forum skin is too necessary. I've been thinking about it and it doesn't really fit, too much work and I don't believe it would look nice. A gimmick such as little forum game like tertris/mahjong etc. might be fun, I remember discussing that for quite awhile in Flashchat with people there. I like that idea but I'm against things like the little badges/titles/achievements that we tested out for awhile on the site.

Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness.

Comment

As Blood said, HongFire focused the place to Anime/Manga discussions and reviews something pretty cool if we all contribute. But at least we'd like to know that downloads links aren't forbidden, that would be a plus.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

i think we also should add more sections to the foreign language thread. Like adding Philippines, Spanish (Castillian) and etc.

As much as i would love to help clean the chinese section of its questions where the H-content are, i cant type chinese or read well.

Comment

Errrrr, you mean this and this?

The foreign languages section doesn't need any addition in my opinion, nobody complained about haven't found their language there.

Comment

Originally posted by Juas View Post
            Errrrr, you mean this and this?

The foreign languages section doesn't need any addition in my opinion, nobody complained about haven't found their language there.
            Yep, and what i meant was being placed into the "sub-forums" under Japanese,Chinese,Thai.

and on the homepage, maybe we can add a site announcement module either under/above the Poll module.

Comment

Originally posted by sithstormjedi View Post
              Yep, and what i meant was being placed into the "sub-forums" under Japanese,Chinese,Thai.

and on the homepage, maybe we can add a site announcement module either under/above the Poll module.
              I agree that throwing the language threads which have more traffic in the sub-forums next to those other three would be wise. Tagalog, and Castillian are certainly the highest there. Easier to access for new members and more organized.

I think we could remove the poll module entirely since it has only been showing us the old display resolution size question for the past year. Site announcements like the olden days on the front page would be wise. Articles should be more apparent in the front than those since we don't have many announcements that often.

Comment

Yes, we could change the poll module for a "new releases" one and probably also change the "Recent activity" one upper and avoid scrolling down. Also there's another detail I've always seen. If you access to the gallery or to the groups the selected tab is always "Forum" instead of its own one.

Comment

----------
                  Last edited by Platonic Fuzz; 03-15-2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platonic Fuzz View Post
                    wondering if there are any updates on this. what i had in mind was something that would go along with this mockup banner:

Spoiler

i could do a mockup forum skin as well, but i'm not sure if there's any interest in this. personally, i think the current layout looks a bit outdated, but i might be alone on that...
                    Don't count with my vote for that. I don't like it at all. I mean it's gray (pretty sad and ugly), the logo seems a bit coarse with that background orange and turning the girl into a silhouette doesn't help since now it looks like an undefined shape (even may looks like a hanged woman).

Comment

Originally posted by Platonic Fuzz View Post
                      wondering if there are any updates on this. what i had in mind was something that would go along with this mockup banner:

Spoiler

i could do a mockup forum skin as well, but i'm not sure if there's any interest in this. personally, i think the current layout looks a bit outdated, but i might be alone on that...
                      Yeah, sorry to say but I agree with Juas on this one. Personally I think the clean style of this forum looks nice. The light colours, grass and open sky on the banner are inviting for people to engage in the forums.

I appreciate the input in this discussion to improve the site but I don't think there is a need to change the forum skin. I remember the contest to change it up awhile back, maybe two years ago, I forget who won but we didn't even use the winner for very long IIRC. It had a chibi character instead of the classic HF girl. Anyway, the current skin looks perfect for the feeling of the site to me.

Comment

I'm really sorry guys, I've been completely out of it for the last while as some of you have
                        seen in my latest blog. I'll be attempting to catch up with everything over the next few
                        days. Thanks to all who have given suggestions, they are highly appreciated!

Comment

The only way I believe the spambot epidemic can be brought under control is to implement mod approval on the first posts of all newly registered members with a lockout on posting any more until that first post has been approved (and it needs to be done soon since I'm getting pissed off with having to report the same bullshit almost every single day).

Comment

There are 2 ways from what I see. Basically for your first post/thread you have to pass a captcha or answer to a question like those to know if you're human, also I don't think is something difficult to make.

The second way would be destroying Skynet who is using spambots as internet explorers to understand mankind and have much more information when is taking over the world in the future with the Terminators.

Comment

Originally posted by Juas View Post
                              Basically for your first post/thread you have to pass a captcha or answer to a question like those to know if you're human, also I don't think is something difficult to make.
                              It's also something that is pretty easy to break as a majority of those captcha systems have been broken, so it wouldn't fix the problem only keep it going.

Comment

There are different styles of captcha, some of them are answering to a question inside the captcha or select the correct option.

Comment

Working...
                                X