Live chat forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live chat forum?

Since right now I am against using any 3rd party chat scripts.

Do you guys think it's a good idea that I create a forum and a single topic and name it Live Chat.

So we can all use that single thread to chat as if it's a chat system.

We can talk about anything there.

What screen resolution are you using in 2016?
    http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum/...-using-in-2016

Hmm... It'd be a bit of a hassle to manage a thread like that and it seems like it would demand a lot from the server; and it'd a bit more difficult to post, compared to a normal chat...

I'm sure you've considered this before, but what about having an address in the top banner for an IRC channel? That way, the chat would go as fast as people's internet connection, instead of flooding this site with requests constantly. No need to use any plugins or anything, maybe just a tutorial for using an IRC client.
    I think this would allow us to have a chat without the need for a plugin or external service (or however Flash Chat worked) connected to the main site.

EDIT:
    And another thing; we already have the Underground for useless/off-topic threads, so all we need is a place to quickly chat with others; thread discussions, again, are slower moving than that.
    Last edited by sholum; 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM.
    Do I need to say anything?
    [/URL]
    I'm about to just spill some coffee, take a picture, call it art, and throw it on here...

Comment

What are we, savages?! Can't people use IRC anymore?
      I guess this place is full of weird people... Even when it comes to kids.
      -- Meretrix from The Endless World

Comment

Originally posted by sholum View Post
        Hmm... It'd be a bit of a hassle to manage a thread like that and it seems like it would demand a lot from the server; and it'd a bit more difficult to post, compared to a normal chat...

I'm sure you've considered this before, but what about having an address in the top banner for an IRC channel? That way, the chat would go as fast as people's internet connection, instead of flooding this site with requests constantly. No need to use any plugins or anything, maybe just a tutorial for using an IRC client.
        I think this would allow us to have a chat without the need for a plugin or external service (or however Flash Chat worked) connected to the main site.

EDIT:
        And another thing; we already have the Underground for useless/off-topic threads, so all we need is a place to quickly chat with others; thread discussions, again, are slower moving than that.
        IRC is good. But we want to also try to have a live chat system on the site as well. so where we can chat anywhere. Specially with this new layout it will be easy to use on mobile as well. so we will be able to chat with each other anywhere even when we are not at the PC. that's what I am thinking.

Also underground is good but having a single thread on top of the site might be useful. The single thread will act as a normal live chat channel where the underground forum you can post topics and things like that.

What do you think?
        What screen resolution are you using in 2016?
        http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum/...-using-in-2016

Comment

So what you want to do is you want to create a thread and call it "Live Chat"???

I rather go for a third party chat scripts. Sorry....

Comment

I still think it'd be a bit slow or awkward.

The way I'm thinking of it, when using a thread to chat, there would be the following problems:
            - Not updated live. Because it's a forum thread, instead of an instant messaging system, there could be any number of updates between when you started typing and when you finally post.

- Bloat; if we assume a rate of one post every two seconds (my guess at the rate a lobby of a few people in active conversation), then we'd hit 6000 posts (I think that's the limit?) after a mere 200 minutes of activity. I don't know if there's some way to regularly delete the thread and recreate it every time it fills up, but that's sounds like it'd be a pain, and again, would cause problems for participants, since the new thread would have a different address.

- Server load; because a forum post is so much larger than an instant message, if we get the amount of activity in a chat thread that we'd all like to see, then it would be asking a lot of the server. I'm not terribly read up on networking and web-design, but from what I do know, this sounds like it'd be a huge resource hog.

If you think that these problems either won't happen or can be easily fixed, then I encourage you to try; I'd love to see a well integrated chat. I just think that there must be a better way to do it... Does VBulletin offer a secure plugin for chatting? I've seen other sites with chats built right into the front page, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't custom work, but I don't know if that is available to us.

We could always try a chat thread, see if it works. If it does, great! If it doesn't, a prominent display of the IRC channel would hold us over until we find something better.
            Last edited by sholum; 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM. Reason: Messed up the easiest math I've done in months...
            Do I need to say anything?
            [/URL]
            I'm about to just spill some coffee, take a picture, call it art, and throw it on here...

Comment

If you want something on the forum, you need a temporary history shared by everybody. The database must be quick and forgetful. I would use something like CouchDB (defunct) or redis.
              ]
              It would also involve using javascript on every client, and increase the load on everybody's side. So it would be an opt-in to be perfect. And at this point, why not a javascript client for IRC?
              I guess this place is full of weird people... Even when it comes to kids.
              -- Meretrix from The Endless World

Comment

I don't think you have to write a chat yourself, there are so many plugins around to use for that purpose... would only be the question how well they are maintenanced concerning security. Hongfire obviously level uped and needs to rethink every change on a basis of "how will we keep this feature secure in the future?".

Comment

Originally posted by sholum View Post
                  Does VBulletin offer a secure plugin for chatting? I've seen other sites with chats built right into the front page, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't custom work, but I don't know if that is available to us.
                  Yeah, I am quite certain that the little temp forum I was in did not use a custom plugin, it is literary still and obviously vBulletin. However now that I checked on it, the Chat was replaced with "Discord (Temp Chat)"
                  (apparently that's the new Skype or TS or something, not that it is less shit given what I have experienced when my streamer of my choice with his companions changed to it, constantly losing connection... and shit)

Now personally, I really am not that interested in such chats on top of a forum, I rather use chats for more private affairs only (and it's not like your admin&mod team just have your own forum sections, I'd be surprised if you were not using Skype... or MSN? )

but well, if there is demand and you'd like to supply, then go ahead and I suggest a Plugin rather than a Thread but please, make one able to turn it off, especially the "bling" or whatever, permanently (or better, for me, yet, disable that by default)
                  I am a cream whip, nothing more and nothing less.
                  Oh, and I am a cream whip that made a List of CM3D2 Mods [Always WIP and totally NSFW], mind you.

Comment

Working...
                  X