Spambots worst they've been in a long time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spambots worst they've been in a long time

Since the forum was attacked, spambots have been out of control; it seems like more than half of the new threads I see (for an example, 8/15 of the threads I'm currently seeing on the 'new topics' search, which includes updates to existing threads as well as new ones; and that's just the first page) are spam. It's becoming quite difficult to notice legitimate new threads amongst all the junk.

I know that everyone has been working hard to get the forum working properly again, but is there currently any consideration about what to do about all of this spam? I report threads, but I know that reports must be piling up for the mods.
    Do I need to say anything?
    [/URL]
    I'm about to just spill some coffee, take a picture, call it art, and throw it on here...

I do not think that the number of spam posts has increased at all, the level of spam and threads being started by lazy members in the wrong places or duplicate posts in different threads is still the same as always. Maybe you are looking at the new threads in a different way? I have not seen any spam recently that has reached a 100 threads or posts yet, before the attack it was quite common to see the same spambot creating 50+ new threads in a single session.

Comment

While it's not one bot making a hundred threads, it's multiple bots making maybe two threads a piece. The way I keep up with activity is through the 'New Topics' button, under 'Forums', so I see the most recent activity first.

I don't know if it works this way or not, but I've always been under the assumption that it was possible to remove all threads or posts from a particular account in one go; so if one spam bot makes fifty threads, it's actually easier to remove than if fifty bots make fifty threads.
      Maybe it's the exact same number of bot scripts making more accounts to distribute the spam, but it seems to me like more spam sticks around longer than before. Don't know if this is because of the forum software or the new popular way to write bots.
      [/URL]
      I'm about to just spill some coffee, take a picture, call it art, and throw it on here...

Comment

I'd have to guess that all the previous protection that was in place to prevent the majority of spambot registrations either gone because of the mods that had to be removed or that whatever was being used isn't compatible with this version of Vb (if there was any external software or such used to do that).

It'll just be a waiting game until the measures to stop bot registrations have been reinstated, so all we moderators can do is keep removing the threads and perma banning the bot accounts (however, there does seem to be a slight issue with the system not catching up with itself and already deleted threads still being shown in both the new topics and in the recent post for specific sections).

Comment

I opened the cage and pressed the nuke button. Anything left just report.

Comment

Alright, I'll send the coordinates for the tactical nukes.
            [/URL]

Comment

Some are so fun like "her parents were volleyball" but overall I think it's (a bother) like usual.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
              X