Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever experienced a short circuit before?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever experienced a short circuit before?

I was in Yunnan, because my school went for some overseas service learning thing. The hotel was kinda good. But anyways, I was about to use the hairdryer, and I pressed the button and :

IT EXPLODED.

KABOOM!!!

Yeah. I ran over to the other room, which was where the two male teachers were at and banged on the door and the first teacher opened it and said " What happened?"

And I peeked inside to see the other teacher half naked.

* coughs *.

So like I was saying, anyone experienced a short circuit before? I nearly got electrocuted ohkay. == IT EXPLODED IN MY HANDS.

Iku Mizushima ~ Starry Sky in Autumn ~
    +Rep my post if it helped or if you like it ~ Have a great day!
    ( I will be on hiatus for a very long time because school has started and there's alot for me to catch up. I'll come back once in a while ( probably every month, once. )

I deliberately short circuited a Electronics product before... just to see what happened...

I don't think we CAN short Circuit stuff here in the UK?

PSN ID: TamLux
    STEAM ID: LuxVertas
    I'm on Tumblr and Twitter under Lux-Vertas, Go googleing!

Comment

Not sure about that But it was scary to have the stupid hairdryer explode in my hand. Not to mention seeing a teacher half naked especially when he doesn't have a nice body.

( I will be on hiatus for a very long time because school has started and there's alot for me to catch up. I'll come back once in a while ( probably every month, once. )

Comment

I am a former Electronics and Communications Engineering Student and have a small degree in computer repair. You cannot fathom the countless amounts of short circuit incidents I have encountered.

Most memorable was when I accidentally dropped the soldering iron on a functioning breadboard. The PCB melted and everything burst into flames. You cannot imagine the worth of the damage I had caused for me and my group. Also have experience with defunct amplifier prototypes that just grills itself due to faulty wiring.

No wonder I shifted to multimedia arts.

“As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin."
        - Pablo Neruda

Comment

Originally posted by Alupihan View Post
          I am a former Electronics and Communications Engineering Student and have a small degree in computer repair. You cannot fathom the countless amounts of short circuit incidents I have encountered.

Most memorable was when I accidentally dropped the soldering iron on a functioning breadboard. The PCB melted and everything burst into flames. You cannot imagine the worth of the damage I had caused for me and my group. Also have experience with defunct amplifier prototypes that just grills itself due to faulty wiring.

No wonder I shifted to multimedia arts.
          That must have been like. SUPER DANGEROUS.
          I can't imagine a pile of flames in front of me. I'll be freaked out like omg.
          Though it's interesting to know you have experiences with Electronics and stuff~

Heh my experience can't be compared to yours

Comment

i was working on an old crt with a malfunctioning color bulb when one of the other guys in the workshop bumped into me, causing my hand to bridge a few circuits, my arm was numb for an hour...
            Last edited by Ferrin; 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM.
            free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
            ~ Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Comment

Mental short circuits are much more fun. One time I woke up and my higher brain functions hadn't kicked in yet. Not only was I unable to speak, to but I was unable to think in words for a few moments. Fascinating insight into what it would be like to be an animal really.
              "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

Originally posted by sonicfan1997 View Post
                And I peeked inside to see the other teacher half naked.

* coughs *.

I wonder what they were doing in there?

I had a computer monitor catch on fire while I was using it!

Comment

I have seen a plenty of them in the electronic lab we have here.
                  But usually things don't explode... just melt.

Comment

Way too many of them, probably the most impressive was when a crowbar fell down across a couple of bussbars at the local power plant when I was much younger. Vaporized about 4" of steel from the crowbar and took out a chunk of copper about the size of my head on each of the bars. Even worse, it didn't even take the circuit off-line (the bussbars were about 6" thick and 2' wide at that point...) Makes a pretty impressive noise though, the flash also left a really beautiful copper plate effect on concrete floor below.
                    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
                    Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"

Comment

Oh! Oh! I know why it exploded! 8D

At least I think I do.

In some countries, they use a different Voltage. For example, in Argentina we use 220V while in the US they use 110V.

So yeah, plugging in a 110V device into a 220V socket kind of... overcharges the device and makes it blow up.

I've experienced only two short circuits that I recall. Well... one was with a socket that apparently got wet and exploded in my hand (didn't get hurt tho). The other... well, my old PC had the power source outside... and it rained. And my mom didn't close the window...

I tried letting it get dry for a long while, plugged it in and had it short again. Plugged it out, opened it, got it dry myself, plugged it in again, turned it on, had it short again and... yeah, I kind of gave up and threw it away. Lucky me, got myself a new tower with a new power source!
                      "We all are Legends... we just don't realize..."

Comment

one time i was working with a timing device, motion sensor and photovoltaic sensors
                        shorted the wrong wire and KABOOM~!!!

also i had experience in making your innocent batteries go POW too~
                        Are you one of those humans
                        who are ok to EAT?

Comment

i wuved that movie

Comment

Yes, found out about it the hard way... a shorted vacuum tube in the calibrator output on a Tektronix RM561A oscilloscope (from 1963.) Didn't realize there was a shorted tube in the circuit until I went to connect a wire to the calibrator output jack (didn't have any BNC coaxial cables at the time), and took 300V across both hands. That hurt! Looking at the schematic I figured it out rather quickly, seeing as the 300V power supply was connected to the anode and the cathode was connected straight to the output jack.

i was working on an old crt with a malfunctioning color bulb when one of the other guys in the workshop bumped into me, causing my hand to bridge a few circuits, my arm was numb for an hour..

Been there, done that... was adjusting the horizontal oscillator coil on a 1952 Crosley TV, could not see where my hand was, and one of my fingers toughed the plate cap of the horizontal output tube, effectively grounding out the picture, as my arm jerked back. Felt that one all the way up my arm. Next time I ever go to adjust that I'm going to use a much longer alignment tool.

Comment

Poor you, I am glad you're safe! How comes that so many bad things happen to you all of a sudden? Don't let bad luck follow you. You must be always safe and well.

I did experience a short circuit many times, but I am glad nothing exploded and I was always safe. I wish the same to everybody who happens to go through this!

Comment

Working...
                              X