Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How to run Japanese games

Co How to run Japanese games

You need AppLocale to run most Japanese games or setups on your non-Japanese Windows, because you most likely don't want to change Windows regional settings permanently. HF pAppLoc extends AppLocale, making it simpler to install and easy to use with Japanese games.

How to use
    1. Right-click a Japanese .exe, shortcut or setup.
    2. Select Run with Japanese locale or Run with Japanese locale as administrator to run it with Japanese locale.

Why is HF pAppLoc easier?
    • HF pAppLoc fixes that you have to run the AppLocale msi from a command prompt launched as administrator (on Vista/7). Just a few clicks and you have AppLocale installed.
    • With HF pAppLoc you can easily run a Japanese game/setup as administrator, which fixes the annoying incompatibility/issue with UAC on Vista/7, i.e. the dreaded "AppLocale was unable to launch the specified application. Please make sure the application specified is valid.". This error would otherwise require you to run AppLocale as administrator in various awkward ways.
    • HF pAppLoc doesn't display the annoying warning that "AppLocale is only a temporary solution" (thanks to piaip!).
    • Installing/uninstalling HF pAppLoc is easier than having to bother with .reg files to get/remove the context (right-click) menu feature for Japanese games.

Requirements
    None, unless you're on Windows XP: Asian language support must be installed (in Control Panel->Regional Settings) to successfully run Japanese games.
    Note: Asian language support is a prerequisite to run any Japanese games on Windows XP (it doesn't matter whether you use HF pAppLoc, change regional settings, use AppLocale, LE or NTLEA - you still have to install Asian language support to make it run).

Want to know more?
    Read more at the download page.

Mirror: anime-sharing

Thread Rules
    Feel free to post suggestions or bug reports for HF pAppLoc in this thread. Any posts requesting support for specific games will be deleted!

Need more help?
    Learn more about installing and running Japanese games on your non-Japanese Windows.

Alternatives
    If HF pAppLoc doesn't work for your particular game, try the following alternatives:
    Locale Emulator
    NTLEA
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 07-28-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add info

2. # ADS
    Advertisement Circuit advertisement

Remove Advertisement

*bump*

Great for all the constant "whats applocale?" and "how do your un applocale?" questions cropping up!

This requires a sticky!

An absolute necessity if you ever want to last more then 5 seconds on this board. The comment before mine is right, this does require a sticky.
    Nice job being helpful as usual, Inquisitor

Done, please don't post here unless you have a question regards that

Btw: great work Inquisitor
    Last edited by TheShadow; 04-08-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Thank you for your comments!

I have updated HF pAppLoc to version 0.7. The new version has support for optional right-click menu items (due to popular demand). If you want to update, I recommend that you uninstall your previous version before installing the new one.

7. One question Inquisutor, with the Applocale you need the foreign language installed in windows for it to work correctly.
    But does this also apply to the Hf version ? (bit of a open door question but still)

Yes. You have to install support for Asian languages on XP to use Applocale (pro tip: read more usually means there's more information). It's a requirement for running almost any Japanese game (Applocale or or no Applocale), which HF pApploc unfortunately can't fix.

I recommend that find your Windows media or alternatively upgrade your Windows, because later versions come with support for Asian languages out of the box.

9. A tip for advanced users, hardcore multilingual gamers, or those outside the scope of this patch:

Not many people should know, but AppLocale can load more that one codepage at same time. You are not limited to just an instance.

How? Simple, when you load an application with AppLoc, you can append more IDs, like this:

Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\AppLoc.exe "%1" /L0411 /L0412 /L0404
    A practical example: you play japanese and korean games. Each one of them could need the right shortcut, and the context menu usually has only one option (for us, JP). With the nested arguments, you can use the same menu for every game you play, provided you installed the complete asian support.

BONUS: not so easy to find today, here is a list of all IDs you can use in AppLoc:
    Spoiler
    Code:
    0401 	Arabic
    0403 	Catalan
    0404 	Traditional Chinese
    0405 	Czech
    0406 	Danish
    0407 	German
    0408 	Greek
    0409 	English
    040A 	Spanish
    040B 	Finnish
    040C 	French
    040D 	Hebrew
    040E 	Hungarian
    0410 	Italian
    0411 	Japanese
    0412 	Korean
    0413 	Dutch
    0414 	Norwegian (Bokmal)
    0415 	Polish
    0416 	Portuguese (Brazilian)
    0419 	Russian
    041B 	Slovak
    041D 	Swedish
    041F 	Turkish
    0424 	Slovenian
    042D 	Basque
    0804 	Simplified Chinese
    0816 	Portuguese (Standard)
    041e 	Thailand

@Inquisitor, a question: I see you use Inno Setup to compile the patches, can it detect properly the Windows version?
    If yes, my suggestion would be insert a condition to, if version >= 6, install the admn context menu, else just put the normal one.

Don't know much of the Inno script, so don't be bothered to implement if this is difficult or impossible

EDIT: oops, another question: can Inno handle file attributes outside the installer's scope (like the Windows folder)? If yes, PLEASE put a line to set the file C:\Windows\AppPatch\Apploc.tmp read-only. Corruption on this file can (and eventually will) cause SEVERE corruption in the Windows language support for other application, like Windows Installer and .NET Framework.
    Last edited by phgborges; 05-27-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more info
    DeviantArt ~phgborges /**/ Imgur @darkmindphx
    TDCG mods, saves and etc: sdrv.ms/XluQE8 /**/ TDCG comics (pt-br): bit.ly/1lIJY9h Updated!

First of all thank you for posting and adding more knowledge to this discussion!

It was your idea of making a copy of AppLoc.exe and setting it to be run as administrator that triggered me to put this together. I realized that using AppLocale could be made much easier, if I made a setup that would handle all the technical stuff that you need to do to use it effectively to run Japanese games. Thank you for sharing this brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by phgborges View Post
    A tip for advanced users, hardcore multilingual gamers, or those outside the scope of this patch:

Not many people should know, but AppLocale can load more that one codepage at same time. You are not limited to just an instance.

How? Simple, when you load an application with AppLoc, you can append more IDs, like this:

Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\AppLoc.exe "%1" /L0411 /L0412 /L0404
    I was already aware of this (unsupported?) feature. I read about it here, but there's a comment that it didn't work, so it may not always work/work at all. (?) But I actually considered adding Korean and Chinese to the HF pAppLoc right-click entries, but I decided not to, in case it would cause more problems than it would solve.

@Inquisitor, a question: I see you use Inno Setup to compile the patches, can it detect properly the Windows version?
    If yes, my suggestion would be insert a condition to, if version >= 6, install the admn context menu, else just put the normal one.

Don't know much of the Inno script, so don't be bothered to implement if this is difficult or impossible
    It is easy to do, but first of all I can't really be bothered too much about XP, because I think people should just move on. Secondly, as of version 0.7 the two right-click options are optional, so you can just uncheck the one (or both) you don't want. Thirdly, you may be logged on as a power user (some advanced users have been known to do this to increase security), and you may actually want this feature - even on XP. But thank you for the suggestion!

EDIT: oops, another question: can Inno handle file attributes outside the installer's scope (like the Windows folder)? If yes, PLEASE put a line to set the file C:\Windows\AppPatch\Apploc.tmp read-only. Corruption on this file can (and eventually will) cause SEVERE corruption in the Windows language support for other application, like Windows Installer and .NET Framework.
    It would be easy to do. I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense given some of the problems I have seen people report. Can you share some more information about this issue? Like how you can fix it, if you have the problem? For instance, my AppLoc.tmp is 0 bytes, can a bad AppLoc.tmp be identified by being larger than 0 bytes?

Thank you for your suggestions!
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 05-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.

11. Just to clarify this, based on my observations:

Looks like AppLoc writes something about its last state (in unknown binary format) in the tmp file, and if AppLoc crashes, or similar, it gets corrupted. Dunno about the default size, mine is zeroed too, but is locked. A normal one should oscilate between 0 and 4 bytes.

The most common effect of the apploc corruption is the locale detection of .NET framework and Windows Installer. Accentuation on dialogs and folders will fail, some installations may abort, and depending of system language, the entire MSI module could be cracked down. In fact, in XP is very easy to break up everything, and as AppLoc plays with low-level API calls, is even easier.

Maybe for this, AppLoc was never supported in first place. About the multilanguage arguments, this was documented on Microsoft KB (but is now lost), and on a system like XP, the overload is significant. It's for extreme uses, after all XP was never meant to be raped like this.

Oh yea, the XP power user, I was not thinking about that. Well, let it be.

I could just hope NTLEA be powerful enough to be a real alternative, someday... Meanwhile, let's dual boot and rape AppLoc until the last byte!
    DeviantArt ~phgborges /**/ Imgur @darkmindphx
    TDCG mods, saves and etc: sdrv.ms/XluQE8 /**/ TDCG comics (pt-br): bit.ly/1lIJY9h Updated!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast