Current AGTH version: 2011.5.9
Before asking something make sure you've read this first post, guides and searched in this thread.
AGTH home site: http://sites.google.com/site/agthook/
Guide by mastress: http://blgames.proboards25.com/index...ead=1141106731
Screenshot guide by fhc: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59189
Advanced AGTH Video Tutorials by Freaka: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80401
Itadaki (external toolset for adding furigana (reading) to kanji): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75958
Translation Aggregator (tool for querying many translation engines): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94395
AGTH general information
AGTH is a tool for capturing text from running programs. Main purpose - extracting text from japanese games for translation.
AGTH requires Windows 2000 or newer NT-based system, x64 and server variants are also supported. Recommended operation system - Windows 2003 and newer (yes, some features won't work on XP). With Vista/Win7 you would likely want to run AGTH with elevated rights or disable UAC.
Running program under AGTH
AGTH consists of hook module agth.dll and loader agth.exe.
To load application - pass its name to agth.exe as command line argument.
Example for running from shortcut:
1) Create shortcut for game.
2) Open properties of created shortcut. In "Target" field will be something like
3) Append to the start of "Target" field full path to where you extracted AGTH, so it will be like
"C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
4) Make sure that "Start in" filed hasn't changed after you changed the "Target" and there is space between AGTH and game exe paths.
"C:\AGTH\agth.exe" "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
5) Run game from this shortcut.
Before name of game exe you can specify some options for AGTH. Each option must be separated by spaces from both sides.
Example of running the same game but also automaticaly copy captured text to clipboard:
"C:\AGTH\agth.exe" /C "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
Working with loaded AGTH
After load AGTH will create its window, where it will show captured text.
AGTH separetes text into several 'text threads' based on 'context' (to avoid mess from mixing text of game, menu, title...).
Displayed text thread could be chosen by drop-down list in the upper part of AGTH window. As game runs, new text threads could be found and added to list.
If you close AGTH window it will not detach it's hook from the running applications, so if AGTH is started again it will continue to hook the text, hook options will be unchaged too.
AGTH can try to correct locale of programs - useful for running japanese games with system locale set to non-japanese.
/R option tries to correct locale the AGTH-way - minor visual glitches are possible, but overall program should run like started on system with specified locale.
/L option works exactly as running program under AppLocale (also this option requires installed AppLocale).
Both options can be used together.
AGTH can be used just for fixing locale without any text hooking.
Example of starting QuickATLAS with locale overriden to japanese (useful in case when you see only '?????' in it instead of characters):
If you can't find useful text - try options /X3 and/or /V with loading by /P
C:\AGTH\agth.exe /L /NH "C:\Program Files\Atlas\QuickATLAS.exe"
- Added new type of user hook: Code.
- Hardware hooks now also work on 32-bit XP SP3.
- Improved /R override, now it should be able to run InnoSetup installers.
- Added symbol '◇' to default filtering.
- Removed user hook type: Hex.
- Added support for LiveMaker engine.
- Added support for IronGameSystem engine.
- Updated KiriKiri support.
- Updated RealLive support.
- ASLR support, can be disabled with ':' at the end of user hook.
- Improved /R override, just /R performs more aggressive process 'japanization' than /R411
- Updated RealLive support.
- Locale override support for Win7 (/R option).
- Internal threading optimizations.